Learn Photography, Photoshop and Lightroom from a professional photographer and educator.
My patient, paced teaching style has helped hundreds learn with confidence and tackle creative goals.
I offer the collective learning of small-group workshops or the tailored guidance of private sessions.
I prioritize your learning style and your needs.
Dave works individually with emerging photographers and photographic artists:
• Choosing the right camera system, lenses and accessories
• Photography fundamentals:
• Camera settings and custom functions
• Composition and owning the frame
• Improve your Landscape, Travel, Street, Portrait or Macro photography
• Lightroom: Taking control of your image library as well as expert devlopment
• Photoshop: Work precisely on photographs or create composite montages with control and confidence
• Kickstart your innate creativity when stuck (yes, you do have it in you!)
• From Hobby to Business: What you need to know to make the shift
• Brand your creative business and begin to market your work
• Discover your personal style and build creative momentum
• Selling via: photo prints, exhibiting, book design, websites, promotions and social media
Creative Photographic Workshops:
|Lightroom for Photographers: Levels 1 & 2||Seattle||April 1+2, 2017||Enrolling Now|
|Photoshop for Photographers: Levels 1 & 2||Seattle||April 8+9, 2017||Enrolling Now|
|Portrait Lighting Outdoors||Seattle||Spring 2017||Email interest|
|Creativity and Invention in Photoshop||Maine||September 2017||Email interest|
|The Heart and Soul of Cuba||¡Cuba!||October 2017||Email interest|
|Exploring Washington’s Palouse||Eastern WA||May 27 2017||Enroll Here|
|Custom Individual Instruction||Skype / Local||Ongoing||Email interest|
1. Group workshops provide full immersion into a fun, creative collective learning experience. You’ll benefit from sharing ideas, inspiration and knowledge with other experienced artists. My multi-day workshops offer the opportunity to work in desirable locations to learn while shooting, and gain important insights through group photo reviews. Students also receive individual coaching.
2. Independent learning with me allows us to fully customize the experience to fit your learning style, pace, and any other specific needs. We have the freedom and direct focus to follow the moment, shoot together and review images. We work at my location, in the field or at your home. You can also bring current projects or images to work on.
3. Online learning via Skype with shared screens in scheduled sessions. Similar to #2 above, we address your specific needs at your convenience, right from your location. Skype is a free app, and easy to set up in minutes. Contact me to inquire about price and scheduling sessions.
~ Gift Certificates for Custom Learning are a great gift for nurturing creative growth. Be a giver!
~ Student Reviews: Learn what past students have experienced in my workshops.
LIGHTROOM CC FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS: LEVELS 1 & 2 : Seattle
Why learn Adobe Lightroom CC? Simply because it’s the most powerful suite of Photographer’s tools available. It’s also incredibly efficient, intuitive and fun to use once you learn how to use it. But many need guidance to get started!
This weekend workshop teaches photography enthusiasts and professionals how to use Lightroom CC as a perfect partner. Saturday introduces the essentials of Lightroom, importing, organizing and image correction. Sunday dives deep into professional workflows, automating tasks, pro development, printing and exporting images for any use. We also explore how LR can create slideshows, online galleries and photo books. Using follow-along demonstrations, examples and guided practice, participants will be able to master their own digital workflows to organize, expertly develop and display photography.
Contact me to inquire about 2017 dates
CREATIVE PHOTOSHOP FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS: LEVELS 1 & 2 : Seattle
Photoshop CC is hands down the world’s most creative tool for photographers. Photoshop CC lets you turn ordinary photos into extraordinary images as well as explore and experiment intuitively. These demonstration and hands-on workshops are focused towards photographers seeking to transform their RAW images into professionally-crafted photographs or composited artworks. Through organized, paced demonstration and follow-along tutorials, participants sharpen their skills to confidently dive into creative projects. With patient guidance, I’ll help you learn Photoshop CC for professional results. If you do not own Photoshop CC, you can download the free trial, or use your version for this workshop.
Contact me to inquire about Spring/Summer 2017 dates
OUTDOOR PORTRAIT LIGHTING WITH PORTABLE FLASH
This hands-on workshop will introduce photographers to techniques and tools for lighting portraits outdoors using small dedicated flash units and the best light modification tools. The objective is to learn and control both natural and added light for a balanced, professional look.
This workshop is perfect for those seeking professional portrait lighting with minimal burden to use anywhere in the world, outdoors or inside. We won’t be using heavy, expensive gear and calculations: Portability and ease of use is our primary focus. Workshop is taught by two professional photographers. More info coming as we finalize this new workshop.
Contact me to inquire
Join us in Cuba a uniquely-designed tour for photography enthusiasts and culture lovers.
This tour is for photography enthusiasts and cultural travelers alike. You’ll be humbled by the warmth and generosity of Cuba’s people, and you’ll experience first hand why Cuba and it’s proud and resilient people capture the heart of avid travelers. This is a specially-priced tour that includes all lodging, transportation, access, guidance and most meals.
We stay in government-licenses family-owned Casa Particulares, which is the very best way to have an authentic Cuban experience. I will provide photographic guidance daily as we travel and shoot. There are also options for the non-photographer, such as cooking, dance, museums, shopping, beaching, and wandering in amazement!
A limited number of single room supplements are available. Group site limited to twelve, and spaces are filling up!
Contact me to inquire
CREATIVITY and INVENTION in PHOTOSHOP @ Maine Media Workshops
One Week: September, 2017 dates TBA, in picturesque mid-coast Maine.
Photographers using Photoshop have unlimited power to transform their vision beyond what can be captured in the camera. This mastery workshop teaches the mindset and methods for making creatively expressive images. With inspiration from a projected collection of global artists’ images, this class reviews and plans creative ways to digitally blend photography with other artistic styles and techniques. Participants enjoy shooting on location and bring that excitement back into the lab to processRAW images and delve together into the magical tools within Photoshop. This is an intermediate to advanced workshop, yet those newer to Photoshop can first work with me privately via Skype to be ready for this workshop. (Friday night Lobster/Steak dinner included! :-) See full description of the 2016 workshop here
CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY WITH ANY CAMERA @ Seattle Location
This popular workshop is for anyone wishing to create beautiful photographs with whatever digital camera they own, from dSLR to featured compact. You will be fully immersed in photography for a weekend of discovery through presentations, demonstrations, inspiration and practice. With guided shooting, you will learn creative camera settings while tuning your eyes and awareness. Based on your needs, I introduce my techniques for capturing nature, macro, people, still life, travel, action and experiments in personal vision.
Contact me to inquire
BEAUTIFUL LIGHT: EXPLORING THE PALOUSE : Eastern Washington
A four-day 2017 workshop: May 27-30
Join me and Alan Lawrence for a rural adventure to the always beautiful agricultural area bordering Washington and Idaho called The Palouse. With miles of country roads, rolling hills of wheat and canola, and remnants of rugged country life, this is a prime bucket-list location every landscape and travel photographer must enjoy. We don’t just show you where and how to capture the landscape, we work with local people to provide a full Palouse History experience!
We will be leading TWO hands-on workshops for 4 days each that cover some of the region’s best locations, in the best light and instruct you in editing of your images in Lightroom. We will be traveling daily in our own air-conditioned van.
This custom small-group workshop is limited to ten..
Visit here for more info.