Learn Photography, Photoshop and Lightroom from a professional photographer and educator. My patient, paced teaching style has helped hundreds learn with confidence and tackle creative goals. I offer the collective learning of small-group workshops or the tailored guidance of private sessions. I prioritize your learning style and your needs.
Dave works individually with emerging photographers and photographic artists:
• Choosing the right camera system, lenses and accessories
• Photography fundamentals:
• Camera settings and custom functions
• Composition and owning the frame
• Improve your Landscape, Travel, Street, Portrait or Macro photography
• Lightroom: Taking control of your image library as well as expert devlopment
• Photoshop: Work precisely on photographs or create composite montages with control and confidence
• Kickstart your innate creativity when stuck (yes, you do have it in you!)
• From Hobby to Business: What you need to know to make the shift
• Brand your creative business and begin to market your work
• Discover your personal style and build creative momentum
• Selling via: photo prints, exhibiting, book design, websites, promotions and social media
Creative Photographic Workshops:
|Lightroom for Photographers: Hands-on! Levels 1 & 2||Seattle||April 1+2, 2017||FULL|
|Photoshop for Photographers: Hands On! Levels 1 & 2||Seattle||New date: April 15+16||FULL|
|Exploring Washington’s Palouse||Eastern WA||May 27 2017||Registering|
|Outdoor Portrait Lighting With Portable Flash||Seattle||Spring 2017||Email interest|
|Intentional Travel and Street Photography||Maine||July 2-7 2017||Registering|
|Autumn Photography and Creativity in Lightroom||Maine||October 1-6, 2017||Registering|
|The Art and Soul of Cuba||¡Cuba!||October 2017||Email interest|
|Custom Individual Instruction||Skype / Local||Ongoing||Email interest|
1. Group workshops provide full immersion into a fun, creative collective learning experience. You’ll benefit from sharing ideas, inspiration and knowledge with other experienced artists. My multi-day workshops offer the opportunity to work in desirable locations to learn while shooting, and gain important insights through group photo reviews. Students also receive individual coaching.
2. Independent learning with me allows us to fully customize the experience to fit your learning style, pace, and any other specific needs. We have the freedom and direct focus to follow the moment, shoot together and review images. We work at my location, in the field or at your home. You can also bring current projects or images to work on.
3. Online learning via Skype with shared screens in scheduled sessions. Similar to #2 above, we address your specific needs at your convenience, right from your location. Skype is a free app, and easy to set up in minutes. Contact me to inquire about price and scheduling sessions.
~ Gift Certificates for Custom Learning are a great gift for nurturing creative growth. Be a giver!
~ Student Reviews: Learn what past students have experienced in my workshops.
LIGHTROOM CC FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS with All-Day Guidance, LEVELS 1 & 2
Seattle, April 1 & 2, 2017
Why learn Adobe Lightroom CC? Simply because it’s the most powerful suite of Photographer’s tools available. It’s also incredibly efficient, intuitive and fun to use once you learn how to use it. But many need guidance to get started.
This weekend workshop teaches photography enthusiasts and professionals how to use Lightroom CC as a perfect partner. Saturday introduces the essentials of Lightroom, importing, organizing and image correction. Sunday dives deep into professional workflows, automating tasks, pro development, printing and exporting images for any use. We also explore how LR can create slideshows, online galleries and photo books. Using follow-along demonstrations, examples and guided practice, participants will be able to master their own digital workflows to organize, expertly develop and display photography. Many workshops are ‘watch only’ which means you’re mainly taking notes. These workshops are hands-on demos with practice and guidance. Plus you keep the files. That’s how people really learn.
CREATIVE PHOTOSHOP FOR PHOTOGRAPHERS with All-Day Guidance, LEVELS 1 & 2
New date: Seattle, April 15 & 16, 2017
Photoshop CC is hands down the world’s most creative tool for photographers. Photoshop CC lets you turn ordinary photos into extraordinary images as well as explore and experiment intuitively. These demonstration and hands-on workshops are focused towards photographers seeking to transform their RAW images into professionally-crafted photographs or composited artworks. Through organized, paced demonstration and follow-along tutorials, participants sharpen their skills to confidently dive into creative projects. With patient guidance, I’ll help you learn Photoshop CC for professional results. If you do not own Photoshop CC, you can download the free trial, or use your version for this workshop. Other ‘bargain’ workshops are Watch only, but mine are hands-on learning with all-day guidance. That’s how people really learn.
EXPLORING THE PALOUSE with David Julian and Alan Lawrence : Eastern Washington
June 1-4 2017
May 27-30 (Full)
The Palouse. With miles of country roads, rolling hills of wheat and canola, and remnants of rugged country life, this is a prime bucket-list location every landscape and travel photographer must enjoy. We don’t just show you where and how to capture the landscape, we work with local people to provide an informative Palouse experience. We include dawn and sunrise shooting, farm history and equipment, historic homes, night shooting, focus stacking, and all the rusty trucks, barns and silos we can fit into our memory cards.
We will lead TWO hands-on workshops for 4 days each that cover some of the region’s best locations, in the best light and instruct you in editing of your images in Lightroom. Plus, for your convenience and to raise less dust, we will be traveling daily in our own air-conditioned van.
This custom small-group workshop is limited to ten.
Click here for all info and to link to registration for either (or both) workshops.
OUTDOOR PORTRAIT LIGHTING WITH PORTABLE FLASH
This hands-on workshop in Seattle will introduce photographers to techniques and tools for lighting portraits outdoors using small dedicated flash units and the best light modification tools. The objective is to learn and control both natural and added light for a balanced, professional look.
This workshop is perfect for those seeking professional portrait lighting with minimal burden to use anywhere in the world, outdoors or inside. We won’t be using heavy, expensive gear and calculations: Portability and ease of use is our primary focus. Workshop is taught by two professional photographers. Other ‘bargain’ workshops are Watch only, but mine are hands-on learning with all-day guidance. That’s how people really learn. More info coming as we finalize this new workshop.
Contact me to inquire
BEYOND LUCKY: THE ART of INTENTIONAL TRAVEL AND STREET PHOTOGRAPHY
July 2-7, 2017 at Maine Media Workshops, Rockport Maine
Join me to learn, practice and enjoy new ways for making compelling travel and street photographs. Our learning begins with a constructive review of student works to help set goals for the week. We gain further inspiration from images Dave has gathered from several brilliant international photographers. With set goals and serendipitous light, we explore favorite Maine locations and visit local folk to find photogenic opportunities and practice skills. Throughout the week, discussions focus on tuning in, setting intentions, approaching strangers, connecting or not, and designing the frame. Demos include research, preparation, equipment choices, shooting style, POV, timing the moment, and modifying available light. We also experiment with intentional blur, flowing action, backlighting and working at night. Reviews of our location captures deepen the cycle of learning. By week’s end, each student shares a collection of their best images, and contributes to our workshop album. I’ll also also demonstrate expert workflows in Lightroom and NIK plugins to help students refine their captures and imbue them with personal style.
AUTUMN PHOTOGRAPHY AND CREATIVE LIGHTROOM
October 1-6 2017, at Maine Media Workshops, Rockport Maine
This workshop is perfect for emerging and experienced photographers who are driven to craft better photographs. Our week is a marriage of guided shooting and learning the best of Adobe Lightroom. Through presentations, demos, reviews and coaching, Dave builds an immersive week exploring creativity. On shooting trips to record the colorful light and characters of mid-coastal Maine, Dave shares professional techniques for capturing the unique qualities of each subject we encounter. Returning to the digital lab with fresh images and excitement, participants learn how to harness the power of Lightroom to optimally develop ‘keepers’ or transform them into alternative image styles.
- Lightroom topics we explore will include a review of Lightroom essentials, plus:
- Organizing, culling and creating manual and automated collections
- Expert RAW development for color, contrast, presence
- Controlling sharpness, noise, and haze and distortion
- Precise B+W conversions and split-toning
- Experimental development guided by aesthetics, plus Automation with presets
- Exporting and sharing via slideshows, videos, web galleries and prints
- Students end the week with a deepened understanding of creative possibilities, efficient workflows, unforgettable memories and a refreshed passion for personal and professional photography.
Join us in Cuba a uniquely-designed tour for photography enthusiasts and culture lovers.
This tour is for photography enthusiasts and cultural travelers alike. You’ll be humbled by the warmth and generosity of Cuba’s people, and you’ll experience first hand why Cuba and it’s proud and resilient people capture the heart of avid travelers. This is a specially-priced tour that includes all lodging, transportation, access, guidance and most meals.
We stay in government-licenses family-owned Casa Particulares, which is the very best way to have an authentic Cuban experience. I will provide photographic guidance daily as we travel and shoot. There are also options for the non-photographer, such as cooking, dance, museums, shopping, beaching, and wandering in amazement!
A limited number of single room supplements are available. To provide the best experience, our group is limited to twelve.
Contact me to inquire
CREATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY WITH ANY CAMERA @ Seattle Location
This popular workshop is for anyone wishing to create beautiful photographs with whatever digital camera they own, from dSLR to featured compact. You will be fully immersed in photography for a weekend of discovery through presentations, demonstrations, inspiration and practice. With guided shooting, you will learn creative camera settings while tuning your eyes and awareness. Based on your needs, I introduce my techniques for capturing nature, macro, people, still life, travel, action and experiments in personal vision.
Contact me to inquire
MORE DESTINATION WORKSHOPS WILL BE LISTED AS DEVELOPED.