Level 1: April 1 / Level 2: April 2, 2017 in Seattle
(details of Ballard area location are sent to enrolled students the week prior)
Attend either workshop, or enjoy a $55 discount for attending both.
Earn an additional $25 off if you enroll for two people at once.**
Why attend my Lightroom workshops?
Many ‘bargain’ workshops are just watch and take notes. That’s a slow way to learn. My workshops are hands on with paced, guided practice, because that’s how people really learn new tools, especially rich software like Lightroom.
• Take control of your growing collection and make the most of your creativity.
• Workshops are paced for absorption allowing practice with supervision.
• Learn from the other participants’ questions and resulting demos.
• Learn new powerful features in Lightroom CC.
I teach Lightroom in a way you’ll understand it and enjoy learning.
My hands-on workshops cover the most important capabilities of Lightroom for today’s photographers. Using demonstrations, real-world samples and guided practice, you will be able to master your own digital workflows and turn your camera captures into finished photographs. Each student receives a folder of reference materials and tutorials to keep for additional review. No matter which Lightroom version you use, you’ll leave with greater skill and confidence.
Here’s what former students are saying about these workshops:
• “The workshop was very well planned and run. Dave eagerly and very effectively shared his deep knowledge of LR as well as his strategies for improving our workflow and images. Dave provided ample opportunity to ask questions and was proactive in checking in with us before moving on to another topic. …the printed workshop hand-outs and folder of files served as an excellent summary of the topics covered. In summary, an extremely worthwhile experience!” – Carlo P.
• “DJ, you are a Lightroom wizard! In these past several hours I learned to love Lightroom. Thank you…! – D. Cushman
• “Dave’s an awesome teacher and made things easy to understand. I have a great respect for his knowledge and his ability to communicate it.” – Jen K.
• “David is a great teacher. He’s patient and works with the needs of each individual student while inspiring the whole class to go beyond their expectations.” – Geoff L.
Level 1, Saturday: Essentials of Organization, Collections and Basic Adjustments
Here’s what I like to cover:
- What Lightroom is and isn’t, and why you will soon LOVE IT and use it with confidence.
- Set up your Lightroom Catalog preferences for best workflow and performance
- The Lightroom interface tour, best setup and tips on making things easier to view and use
- File types JPG, RAW, RAW+JPG: Which to shoot and why.
- Import images from camera, memory card or existing collection on a hard drive
- Setting up your personal copyright metadata template to protect your images
- Organize all your images: view, sort, cull out, rename, delete, rate, group, etc.
- Comparing images side-by-side
- Basic image adjustments: Balance exposure, color and sharpness
- Work on images alone or together as a group
- Compare images tool to find the best shot of a series (great for weddings, vacations, kids in motion)
- Adding keywords and make them searchable
- Make Image Collections: ‘virtual’ sets of similar or favorites for super-convenient sensible organization
- Automate collections for grouping images with similarities
- New! What to do when images appear to have gone missing
- Backing up Lightroom catalogs offline
- Q+A throughout the day
> Most demonstrations are also documented in a take-home PDF for reviewing later as needed.
> Bring in your own photo collection or use my provided RAW photosamples.
> Shoot new, bring in existing RAW captures, or use my samples for Sunday’s workshop.
[ REGISTER BELOW ]
Level 2, Sunday: Developing, Retouching, B&W, Automation, Exporting and Sharing
Here’s what I like to cover:
- Make Smart Collections or Target Collections
- Expert Developing to make images shine
- Photo retouching essentials, including removing sensor dust and visual distractions
- Gradient Filters: Pure Genius!
- Local Brush-based adjustments to fix or enhance specific areas of photos
- Fixing lens and perspective distortions and color aberrations
- Sharpening and Noise reduction
- Simulating the Polarizing Filter for bluer skies, deeper foliage
- Repeating developing Batch Development using Presets
- Precise B&W conversions and Split-toning
- Create ‘virtual’ versions of photos for different styles from a single image
- Using Power Search tools to find specific images FAST.
- How to Export your finished photos for any use
- Setting up custom Watermarks for your images
- Automating development recipes with Develop Presets
- New! Off-line Lightroom edits using Smart Previews
- New! Facial Recognition: How to find/sort/group images by who’s in them
- New! Sharing your image collections online or with an emailable PDF
- Using your Lightroom catalog(s) effectively when traveling between computers (by request)
- New! How to set up Lightroom to print (by request)
- New! Basic Adjustments for video and pulling still frames from video (by request)
- New! Fast, verbal key wording and captioning for retrievals, SEO and web galleries (by request)
- Back up considerations
- Q+A throughout the day.
My workshops are limited to just twelve registered participants. Small group means more attention per person.
Workshop content is paced for the class median. Everyone receives individual guidance. Students leave with lessons, files and resource tutorial PDFs for use after the workshops, plus a month of help if you get stuck!
(Additional individual study is available, and is discounted if booked within one month of my workshop.)
Bring your working Mac or PC laptop, or desktop computer that you know how to use, loaded with at least Lightroom 5 or newer. (if you don’t yet own Lightroom it’s well worth $10/mo. You can download the free 30-day trial at Adobe.com ). I provide a USB Thumb Drive for transferring my files to your device. You may bring your own images too.
$225 either day, or save $55 through February, by registering for both days at just $395. Space is limited.
See drop-down menu below. Full registration below via Paypal or a Check is required to hold your seat and to attend.
**Earn $25 off on your full weekend if you pay for a friend during your registration.
Those preferring to enroll by check can email me for address. Checks must clear before enrollment is complete.